Tranquil Reverie

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Rangoli

As I went past Vidhana Soudha on Independence Day, I noticed that the place was buzzing with activity. This tempted me to stop by to get a glimpse of the proceedings. In a desperate attempt to find a parking slot for my bike I went near the High Court, but in vain! The cops would just not let me park anywhere in the vicinity. While looking around, I was pleasantly surprised to see a Rangoli competition being held at Cubbon Park. I strolled over to get a peek into the event that was being held.
The term 'Rangoli' is derived from the words 'Rang' which means colour and 'aavalli' which means a row of colours. If there is one Rangoli it might be a row of colours but when it stretches for 5.5 KM, it is a riot of colours! The participants who spanned across various age groups exuded a tremendous amount of energy and brought their creativity and talent to the fore.
While some people stuck to traditional rangoli patterns the others got creative and came up with new and improvised designs and used items such as marble dust, shells, flowers, grated vegetables and mirrors to create their master piece.Although they could pick a theme of their choice, there are no prizes for guessing what the favourite theme for the day was!
Here are a few rangolis that caught my attention.



















2 Comments:

Blogger raa said...

can u tell me were can i get marble dust in banglore?

7:58 AM  
Blogger dhivya said...

very bad design

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home